Industrial and Manufacturing
Advances in manufacturing are a driving force behind the extraordinary increases in manufacturing productivity, product quality, and business profitability in recent years. Ceramic materials are a key component in many advanced manufacturing technologies and there are a number of areas in which they can be beneficial.
• Used for demanding manufacturing applications that require wear- and scratch-resistant windows able to withstand high temperatures and pressures or corrosive environments.
• CeraLumina can be custom formed in a wide variety of shapes for specialized electrical insulator applications. CeraNova’s proprietary processing techniques also enable the production of translucent or transparent insulator components.
Optical Component Molds
• The surface properties and high strength of CeraLumina make it an excellent candidate as a mold material for plastic optical components. CeraLumina can be ground to the required surface finishes (roughness ~10s of angstroms) and provides a more durable mold surface compared typical metallic molds.
Medical and Dental Devices
Advances in medical technology are driven in large part by devices, components, and sensors that are enabled by advanced materials. Advanced ceramic materials play an increasingly important role in new medical device technology.
CeraNova has the materials knowledge and processing experience required for custom medical and dental components manufactured from Spinel and CeraLumina. CeraNova is ready to provide medical component manufacturers with ceramics expertise, engineering support, test and characterization tools, and manufacturing capabilities to design, prototype, qualify, and manufacture new products. A wide variety of product platforms are addressable including, for example, porous structures for composite materials, precision surface components for surgical tools, and implantable devices.
Advanced Structural Ceramics
Advanced structural ceramics are for applications where wear-resistance, corrosion-resistance, and lightweight materials are required, particularly in high-temperature environments. The needs for these materials come from the industries of processing, power generation, aerospace, transportation, and the military. Advanced structural ceramic materials demonstrate enhanced mechanical properties under demanding conditions where other materials, such as metals, polymers, and composites breakdown. As structural members, they are subjected to mechanical loads, and have to perform in erosive, corrosive, or high-temperature environments. Structural ceramics can display: superior wear resistance, making them best for tribological applications; chemical inertness for uses as bone replacements; and, thermo-chemically inert allowing applications in engines, aerospace, and power generation.
Advancing materials technologies require advanced characterization tools and auxiliary components. CeraNova can manufacture first-in-class custom ceramic components for variety of scientific test and characterization equipment.
CeraLumina components can be manufactured to a wide range of specifications on shape, size, and surface finish for use over a broad range of temperatures.
CeraLumina’s advantages include: high strength, chemical compatibility, dimensional stability, and wear resistance.
These properties make CeraLumina an ideal material for:
• Machine components
• Thermal analysis equipment components, such as
– Thermogravimetric analysis (TGA)
– Differential scanning calorimetry (DSC)
– Mass spectrometry systems
CeraLumina is also ideal for:
• Precision sample platforms
• Calibration weights
• Gauge components